Friday, May 17, 2013

Day Five - Montessori Day

Today is Friday, and we are going to be doing our Montessori day. The kids have the computer set to learning sites, the table is covered with centers and books, the TV is on PBS kids, and Leapsters are plugged in. They get to choose what they play and for how long, so long as it is a learning activity.






Here's the stuff I laid out for them, and a few pics of D playing with the letter blocks.

Um...

Wow, I didn't really take any pictures today, because I was cleaning while the kids played. Oh well. They had fun, and I got to gently nudge them off the computer, or out from in front of the TV all day. I recommended all kinds of things for them to do, and they would do some of it now and then.

It's hard to not try and dictate their learning, but I know they need time to be kids and explore, and learn at their own pace. Several times today I would interject some facts about their show or game or activity, just to help them get more out of it, but other than trying to direct them to some things, and adding in some knowledge here and there I just let them be. They were surrounded by learning activities, so I know that whatever they chose would benefit them in some way (even if only in a minor way). I'm glad they got to have fun with the learning resources today, and I am glad that the rest of the week is pretty structured.

Week one complete! We might try for a field trip tomorrow, or I might collapse instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment